Monday, July 19, 2010

Put a stamp on it


I must tread lightly when writing this. I am embarking on a topic that might be sensitive, and could be taken as a personal criticism by many of my readers. Dear friends, please know that I am not singling any one person out, rather I am commenting on what I view as a downfall of our web 2.0 culture.


I am talking about mail, or more precisely, the lack there of. With the popularity and ease of email, Twitter and Facebook, the postal service is about to shut their doors. Nobody seems to have use for a handwritten letter these days. I am as guilty as the next person. Life is busy. I rarely have a book of stamps on hand, and God only knows where my address book is. So when it comes time for a birthday a simple "Happy BDay! Have a great day!" on my friend's Facebook wall is the usual protocol. Lame.


When I was younger each year I looked forward to a mailbox full of colorful envelopes on the anniversary of my birth. It was such a joy to open each card, and then display them on my dresser for the coming month. When I was in college, I may have had an email address, but I did not use it. Shocking I know, but this was 1992-1996. We sent hand written letters to one another. I have a box full of them. I recently went through this ancient mail opening yellowed letters of friends I have long since lost touch with. Their letters brought me back to another time. The personal style of handwriting, the choice of stationary, the occasional sticker. Colorful. Personal. Memorable.


Saturday we received two cards in our mailbox. Two cards from the vet who cared for Wiggum as he died in their office. The only two cards I received in response to our family's loss. Oh I got tons of comments on my facebook. I know hearts were in the right place, however those two cards are on my mantel, a tangible memory of my cat. A physical display of someone who cared enough to send a card. I know it is not a personal slight. I realize that people now rely on their keyboard and mouse to communicate with loved ones and friends. But I have to say, I truly appreciated the personal gesture and I am vowing to make more of an effort. An effort to send birthday cards, and an occasional letter, through the US Postal Service. I therefor need to update my address book. So if you are so inclined, please email me your address to rkargas@hotmail.com.


XXOO,

Rachel

8 comments:

  1. Handwriting is a lost art....just like the digital pager. They don't even really teach cursive writing anymore (or at least in our school district). The only people that send me real mail is the utility company :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel one of the things I offer to my clients as a service is hand-written greeting cards. It's something that MANY still love receiving much like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have precious letters written to my by grandpa talking about mundane things like how humid Brooklyn is, or describing where he is writing the letter. When I read these I can remember so clearly our N.Y. kitchen with a summer breeze from the window and sounds from the street below. I feel so close to my dad then. Emails cannot do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog! That means a lot. Your blog is so cute, and your boys are adorable! I can't wait for Josiah to be their ages. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you! There's it nothing that replaces getting a card in the mail! I try to be really deliberate with birthday cards, Christmas cards, and thank you cards for any gifts that we receive. It sometimes feels like a lot of work, but to me it's part of how I demonstrate to family and friends that they are loved and appreciated... so I think it's totally worth it. Oh, and the grandparents get "hello, how are you" cards in between... cause they just should. {bless em} Mmmmmm, and so sorry about Wiggum. It's so sad and I really feel for you. :( Hope you're feeling better about it all soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have many family members who work for the post office so I love the idea of getting back the action of thought to pen to paper with a fun stamp involved. Not only does it make a big impact on the lucky one opening the mail but it really is supporting the postal workers too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate! I loved getting birthday cards in the mail and could recognize who it was from just by the handwriting. It's kind of a bummer that our kiddies are growing up in this internet age where Facebook is the highest form of socializing!... Ok, it's not and shouldn't be, but still things have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My father died about a month ago and I bet I got 50 sympathy cards in the mail. MAIL. I was dumbfounded. I had no idea people still sent sympathy cards--I certainly have not in a DECADE or so. And yet, it meant the absolute world to me, so your resolution is also mine.

    ReplyDelete