Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My Birthday Boy

Dear Julian,

On May 30, 2011 I took your older brothers to the movies. We saw Kung Phu Panda II, and I downed a diet coke and a package of sour patch kids. I was dreadfully uncomfortable, but I had been so for weeks, so I thought nothing of it. Your arrival was scheduled for June 2nd, a c-section was planned, but I longed for you to select your own birthday, preferably in the month of May (birthstone is an emerald!) I was starting to lose hope, but that evening at around 9pm, I felt a true contraction. I was still not convinced. I had so many aches and sharp pains due to your position that I was skeptical, so I waited. At 12:30am on May 31, we finally decided it was time to head to the hospital.

We drove through dark deserted streets anticipating your arrival. My heart was pounding, my palms were sweaty, I was experiencing periodic agonizing contractions. It was time. Your time. We arrived at the hospital and were greeted with knowing smiles. We found our way to labor and delivery and I was immediately hooked up to monitors, which quickly confirmed that I was in fact, in labor. Over the next couple of hours I received IVs of fluid and pain medication. I was asked to fill out waivers and met with the anesthesiologist. The contractions came harder and more frequently and your father held my hand. "Breath" he told me over and over again. I didn't want to breath, I wanted it to be over! Finally just after 4am I was wheeled into surgery, your father by my side. There was tugging, and pulling and small talk amongst the doctors. Then finally, the tiny cries of my newborn and the doctors rushed to make sure you were okay. And you were, you were 6lbs 6 ounces of perfection. My perfect little baby boy.

One year later you are crawling, laughing, smiling, eating, climbing, hitting, laughing, playing, destroying, petting, tugging, and just plain delightful. Julian, you are a handful no doubt. Some days I'm so tired that a part of me forgets how lucky I am to be your mother, and perhaps that is just the nature of parenthood. This year has been exhausting and challenging  in ways I could not have imagined. But every single day as I nurse you to sleep, and I look into your gentle brown eyes I am reminded of your sweet nature. At one year old you are just as you should be, my perfect baby boy.

Happy Birthday Julian.

I love you.

Mommy














5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday sweet Julian. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your sweet little guy!!!! I particularly like the shot of him with the liquor bottles. :) :) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Get Real Mama,
    Thanks for commenting on my blog. I am new to this whole blogging thing, so I get super excited every time I get a new comment! Anyway, I just checked out your blog, and you are hilarious. I am particularly fond of the "People I want to punch in the face" post. I'm following your blog now. Happy birthday to your little one!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your sweet little boy! He looks so much like you in those last pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the third photo is adorable i love it

    ReplyDelete