Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

I walked into Safeway on Friday afternoon and was confronted with a big gaudy pink & lavender Mother's Day display. Potted lilies and cheap bouquets of flowers with shiny heart shaped balloons. Cards with sappy cursive writing I heart Mom. I think to myself this is for my grandmother, not for me.... right?



But no, in fact I am mom, and this stuff is marketed in my honor. Wow. How did I get here? I know I have earned it. Two pregnancies, two c-sections, sleepless nights, forgone vacations, all the diapers, puke, and tears. I can proudly wear the badge of "Mom", or some cheesy mother's day corsage. I now have a new understanding of the all of the cliched Hallmark mother's day cards. The cartoon mom, hand on her hips, looking at a pile of laundry on the floor. "Today is your day mom, don't lift a finger, you can do it all tomorrow!" Ha. Ha. I sometimes even get teary eyed looking at the sweeter sentiments, "Thank you, mom for all you do, you will always be my best friend". And yet at times I still find it hard to believe that I am the Mother.



I know same old story different day. Rachel marveling at the passage of time, and wondering how she got to be a grown up and why the guy at the bar never cards me anymore.



But here I am, the mom. And tomorrow is my day. Bring it on.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day, Rachel. Enjoy your day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, no mention of your own mother sitting all by herself (ok - David is with me). Oh yeah, guilt 101 - gotta start learning how to do that Rachie!The boys will soon be old enough for a dose!!! :)

    ReplyDelete