Sunday, June 3, 2012

Party Time....

First birthday parties have been a big deal at our house. Zack's one year celebration came with a keg and catering, and Evan's with a children's musician and a personalized CD. Julian's birthday would not be an exception, we planned a big party and I do believe it was a success.

Of course the guest list was a little different. We celebrated Zack & Evan's first birthdays in Denver with family and old friends. Yesterday was a mix of new friends, and my father and stepmom who were able to fly in for the occasion. My sister and her family, my mom and stepdad and all of our close Denver friends were missed. That said, I was touched by all of the wonderful friends who came and raised a toast to my sweet Ju Ju Bean.

My husband's friend and co-worker, Drew was kind enough to use his expert barbequing skills to make amazing pulled pork sandwiches, we had a bounce house, cocktails, and a half sheet cake that was completely devoured. The kids jumped like mad, and some of the "big kids" actually ended the evening with a few rounds of "quarters." Today was greeted with a mess and a hangover.

And thus, my final first birthday party is done. Today I felt a mix of nostalgia, pride and sadness. How does the time fly so quickly? My baby is one. My eldest son is completing kindergarten. We have been in Oakland for nearly three years. The years keep passing, the pace maddening. All day long I have been humming a Judy Collins song "Who Knows Where The Time Goes." The lyrics are below.

It was a lovely day, a crazy year, and I know the best is still yet to come.....


Proud big brother Zack



Julian & Grandpa Arthur


It wasn't all happy times...
My awesome friend Mindy!

Julian takes to the cake. Genetics.




Across the morning sky,
All the bird are leaving,
Ah, how can they know it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
We'll still be dreaming.
I do not count the time

Who knows where the time goes?
Who knows where the time goes?

Sad deserted shore,
Your fickle friends are leaving,
Ah, but then you know it's time for them to go,
But I will still be here,
I have no thought of leaving.
I do not count the time

Who knows where the time goes?
Who knows where the time goes?

And I'm not alone,
While my love is near me,
And I know,it will be so,till it's time to go,
So come the storms of winter ,
and then the birds in spring again.
I do not fear the time

Who knows how my love grows?
Who knows where the time goes?

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your little guy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, happy 1st birthday, Julian!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO FUN! Happy birthday to your sweet little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Julian! And wow mama, you must throw some killer parties. For Phoebe's 1st we had a pinata and juiceboxes. Who is the lame mom now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the blog!! ;) It was SUCH a fun party. Happy birthday little guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you made the blog! You rock Mindy!!

      Delete
  6. He is soooo cute! I love being able to see your family! And you look great, Rach! Have I told you that?! The running is def working!
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Sadly, due to sprained ankle, running is done until it heals. Soooooo bummed about it.

      Delete