Saturday, December 26, 2009

It's Complicated

Christmas day, I saw a movie, in the theater. In this life that is a big deal. I can probably count on one hand the number of movies (with a rating higher than G) that I have seen in the actual theater in the past four years. My sister-in-law suggested the outing because when she was growing up hitting the theater was a holiday tradition. I have never been to a movie on a major holiday, and I have to say I rather enjoyed it.

We viewed It's Complicated with Alec Baldwin, Meryl Streep and my not-so-secret crush John Krasinksi. First we need to talk about John. Good god, I am in love with this man. What is it about him? I doubt anyone would say he is the "hottest" famous guy around, but he is sexy because he is accessible. He reminds me of someone my husband would be buddies with. He is understated, funny, and normal. I told my mother-in-law that I would leave David for him. I am only half kidding.

So the movie was good, really funny and sweet. I hate to say it but what really struck me about the flick was Meryl Streep. She is old. I mean she really looks like an AARP member. Perhaps it's because I am thinking of her appearances in earlier films such as Kramer Vs. Kramer. But Kramer Vs. Kramer came out four years after I was born, and now I am 35 years old, so that makes Meryl...ancient. This is a little bit unsettling especially because I found myself identifying with her character (a woman in her late fifties with grown children) more than I did with the "kids" in the movie. Granted, I have a ways to go, but it says something that I am more middle age than college kid.

This has got me thinking a little bit about the celebrities of my youth. The beautiful people whose pictures adorned my locker and bedroom walls. Madonna, Michael Jackson, Michael J. Fox, Patrick Swayze, River Phoenix and Scott Baio. Of this list, three are dead, one is ill, one is a skinny freak who thinks she is Jewish, and the other is a has-been staring on bad reality TV. These days I am totally out-of-touch with pop culture. I don't know half of the stars in Tiger Beat (if that rag is still even around), and I honestly can't name even one Rhianna song. All of this adds up to the undeniable fact that I am old. Or at least not that young anymore.

Okay, okay, maybe I am getting a tad bit carried away. I realize it is a little early to be researching retirement homes, but it feels strange. I have one foot stretching to stay youthful, and the other planted in a sensible shoe on the other side of young. I'm torn about where I fit, and what feels right. I wouldn't say that I am in the middle of a midlife crisis, but rather just shocked to find myself identifying with an old lady in a movie I saw on Christmas. I guess... it's complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment