Sunday, March 6, 2011

Not a fan


Dear Author Of The Captain Underpants Books,


I do not like you. Not even a little. I am sorry that my children ever discovered you. It must have been a classmate that made the introduction, it certainly was not me. I have taste. I have manners. I am a little repressed when it comes to bodily functions. If it were left to me I would have filled the bookshelves with Beverly Cleary (why yes she did more than the Ramona books!)


Beverly Cleary wrote clever books about mice riding motorcycles and they aren't in the least bit offensive. Your vile stories however, leave me cringing as I read. Do I really have to say words like Frankenboogers and BM aloud? Gross, Gross, Grossest.

Mr. Author of this terrible series, do you have any idea how long and hard we have worked to eliminate potty language in this house? It has been a battle, and there was some tremendous progress made, and then your books. Now my children are reenacting tales of purple potties and booger throwing. I want to gag.


Did you never grow up? Do you not realize how cheap your humor is? Don't tell me to lighten up. I have a feeling you were an unpopular kindergartner and now you are just trying to make up for it in your older age.


Shame on you.


Signed,


Not Laughing

6 comments:

  1. Well said. haven't got the books in our house but will take note of what you've got here and try and avoid them ever coming in. The less of that influence on my little boy the better! (He's so at that age....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I agree. If I think they're bad, they must be really bad! They really have very little redeeming qualities - just some kids being naughty for the sake of being naughty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say about Captain Underpants is that he gets boys who wouldn't normally be caught dead with a book and makes them interested in reading. It's difficult to get special education boys reading enough to develop any fluency, and these books have been a godsend to some of them. But yes, they do have a lot of potty language in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sooooo with you on this one. My two girls 10 and 8, have read beautiful books but Mr 7 is in love with Captain Underpants. I feel the same way. I've just discovered your blog and become your latest follower, come over and see us in Qatar sometime.

    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a new follower this morning from The Mommyhood Memos.

    I adore this post! Thanks for the warning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love BC too- and Judy Blume and R. Dahl-
    Captain Underpants is Sponge Bob in a book.

    ReplyDelete