Sunday, December 5, 2010

Random thoughts from the weekend






Karate Kid:





Saturday morning is now karate morning for my wild child. The intent is to give Zachary an outlet for all of his physical energy, while teaching him a little discipline. I have to say it is terribly adorable to see these little 5 and 6 year old children in their uniforms barking "Yes Sir!" to their "master." So far Zack pouts in class. At times it is painful to watch him sulk when he gets frustrated with a new move. The other children persevere, while he hunches his shoulders and refuses to look his teacher in the eye. I do think that in the long run it will be good for him. The "master" does not baby him, and demands respect. Maybe he can whip him in line. I certainly seem to be struggling. At times my little Karate Kid actually seems to enjoy the physical nature of the class and he is very proud of his "enormous muscles." Ralph Macchio? Perhaps not, but I'm not giving up hope just yet.



Where have all the jackets gone?


Where have all the jackets gone? Each day passing. Where have all the jackets gone? Long gone each one. Where have all the jackets gone? Evan's lost them every one. When will he ever learn? When will he ever learn?


(The new jacket photographed below has joined the missing jackets club along with half a dozen others.)












It's official I'm a Jew










Why? Because I can now not only make matzo ball soup, but I am also capable of preparing latkes! At 36 years old, I whipped up my first batch of potato pancakes this evening. What took me so long? For starters, I do not particularly care for them. However, now that I have children I have decided to suck it up and and follow tradition. Tonight (with the exception of Evan, who seems to boycott all holiday meals) we all dined on potato pancakes and roasted chicken.... I'm officially a Jewish mother. So there.




It's official, I'm a Christmas Jew










The Kargas family did in fact purchase a Christmas tree this year, and I am so very glad that we did. We refrained from putting up a tree last year due to our holiday travel plans, and it just didn't seem festive. Our tree is beautiful, and the best part was unwrapping all of the familiar ornaments. I think that is one of my favorite aspects of the holiday, looking at the treasures of years past and taking a walk down memory lane....





3 comments:

  1. I might have a few jackets that would fit the boys that you can have. And want some cheesecake? It could be a Hanukkah Cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to make potato pancakes just because we somehow ended up with the box mix (one Grandma or another would slip it to us unknowingly). Potato Pancakes - yum. Bavarian Potato Pancakes - um, I'm with Evan on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karate kid soooooo cute. I've heard karate is really good for little boys who need to channel their energy so good luck!

    ReplyDelete