Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I wore a dress today





Today I got dressed. Okay, I get dressed every day, but today I put on a dress. And boots. And eyeshadow. It was time to join the ranks of the living. I was headed into the office, and my new custom fresh- from- the- grave look just wasn't going to cut it.




Let's face it, I have been feeling pretty lousy for the past several months. First morning sickness, then followed by a cough that simply will not die. This cough has left the muscles between my ribs in a constant spasm (a common side effect of pregnancy per my OB), and thus I look a bit...haggard. Most days I throw on a maternity shirt that has been through probably 6 or 7 pregnancies (mine and various friends) and a pair of borrowed ill-fitting jeans. I often am too tired to accessorize and usually rely on little to no make up, the over all effect is well, like I said earlier, death warmed over. Nice.




Yesterday I sat in my home office looking like total crap and I started to think about how I might spiff up my look for the trip to the city. A dress... of course! But the only dresses hanging in my closet were either a) sundresses, which will prove to be totally unnecessary in the San Francisco climate, or b) a size or two too big, which leave me looking nothing short of frumpy. So I did what any self-respecting sick pregnant lady would do. I dragged my boys out in a rainstorm to Target to find myself a new maternity dress ala Liz Lang. As I hurried the boys through the parking lot, clutching my ribs, coughing and yelling at my little troopers to speed it up so we didn't all get drenched, I thought... perhaps I made a mistake.




But today when I slipped on my little grey dress, tights and boots I knew it was worth it. While it is hard to feel "pretty" when your stomach is the size of a watermelon, (unless of course you happen to be Heidi Klum) at least I felt pulled together and presentable and I so desperately needed that.


Thank you, thank you Liz Lang. If only you could do something about the stabbing pain between my ribs.....


7 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how the smallest things can make us feel better??! I ALMOST wished I was pregnant when I saw the Liz Lange stuff at Target.

    Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. XLMIC-after looking at these pictures, I am thinking I may need to invest in some new undergarments! Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look totally adorable! Good for you to do something nice for yourself. BTW, all my stuff is probably 7 sizes too big for you, but I do have some cute maternity shirts that might work for you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. During each pregnancy, I have purchased one fantastic special occasion dress (for weddings usually)- one that I'll never be able to wear again - and now I have three fantastic ones hanging in my closet - collectively, I have probably spent like $500 on them. But feeling attractive while pregnant? PRICELESS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fantastic - that dress totally suits you. And what cost is it to feel good about yourself while pregnant? Money well spent :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "death warmed over"...love it!!! You look gorgeous!!
    ps...today I plucked my eyebrows & now, I can't stop looking in the mirror...lol! Pathetic....

    ReplyDelete