Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Chevy's (or shall we call it Chubby's?)



Recently we took the boys to Chevy's Fresh Mex for lunch. Chevy's is a typical Tex Mex chain restaurant that serves up huge plates of refried beans and smothered burritos. It's the kind of place where the waiters bring out a bowl of fried ice cream then serenade the guest of honor with a jazzed up version of "Happy Birthday To You." Yes, that kind of place. Don't get me wrong there is room for such a restaurant. The food is bountiful, you get what you expect, kid's usually dig it.




Fortunately, or unfortunately (depending on how you view it), because of a new law, Chevy's (and other like establishments) are now required to publish the caloric content of everything on their menu. Hello buzz kill. I'll take the water, thanks.




Get this:




Kid's Hamburger: 1060 calories, 50 grams of fat


BBQ Chicken Salad 1448-1583 calories, 107-128 grams of fat


Chicken Quesadilla (Appetizer) 1260 calories, 80 grams of fat


Grande Beef Burrito 1720 calories, 88 grams of fat


"Ooey gooey chewy sundae": 1020 calories, 48 grams of fat.




Holy diet destruction! I stared at the menu and found basically nothing that I could feel good about eating. Diet Pepsi? A woman my age, weight and height needs approximately 1500 calories and 50 grams of fat a day to maintain. So basically most of the items on the menu exceeded my fat intake and pretty much maxed out my calories for the day. I settled on the "Kickin Corn Chowder" 280 calories and 16 grams of fat and the mixed green salad, 130 calories. Then I spent the rest of the meal coveting my husband's smothered burrito.



I have a feeling we won't be back.

5 comments:

  1. Dave had the smothered burrito? Did he have a side of Lipitor and extra life-insurance with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if they would have the same calories/fat content if you made them at home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ca88andra-I doubt it. I think they must use lard in their refried beans, and use a heck of a lot more oil to cook with. right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, thats a lot of calories. We dont go out to eat often for this reason.

    I am also a working mother, come on over to www.workingmomjournal.com I look forward to having you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THAT STUFF - and I want a side of nachos with it! Wait, is that why I'm a size 12 instead of an 8??

    ReplyDelete