There is a nightly ritual. Things that must happen in preperation for bed. There is a significant price to pay should one forget. Last night I forgot.
What should happen:
- Teeth. Each child must have a Spiderman toothbrush. Blue for Evan. Red for Zack.
- Children carefully select pajamas (usually insisting on the filthy ones in the hamper) and dress. *Special note, since Zachary is apparently going to wet his bed into adolescence, a pull up is required.
- Each child selects a book. Mommy gently guides away from the three chapter Cars book and the impossibly long Red Fish Blue Fish, and encourages more palatable reading.
- Evening entertainment is provided. Story time, then 3 lullabies by mama.
- Each child retrieves their "guys" for bedtime. For Zachary this means Nooderz the Kangaroo, Mr. Brown Doggie and Bob Bear. Evan has, Kangaroo (formally known as 9910), Valentine's Day Doggie, each of his identical polar bears and his usually dirty beat up Ikea pillow.
- Good night kisses.
- Lights Off, Ipod on-(Dan Zane's "Night Time" )
Last night's critical mistakes:
- Zachary dressed himself, I failed to notice the lack of pull up.
- Evan's Kangaroo (formerly known as 9910) was nowhere to be found, so by the grace of God, somehow we convinced him to go to sleep sans Kangaroo.
The end result:
- 1:30am we awaken to Zachary crying. A wet bed. Pajamas must be changed. Child must now sleep on the floor of our bedroom.
- Evan, awakened by all of the commotion remembers the absence of Kangaroo. He spends the next twenty minutes moaning Kangawoo! Knagawoo! We are too tired to get out of bed to continue the investigation of the missing stuffed toy. So we listen to him whimper and pray that our nanny knows his whereabouts.
- I am unable to fall back to sleep until 3.
Tonight I will not forget.