Monday, July 22, 2013

The first three

See my pearly whites? Oh my mom too. And beer. Don't forget the beer.














The cast is off. The game is on. The Denver Rock and Roll Half is October 20. Time to start training. It is hard not to feel discouraged. I haven't run for six weeks. I am not in the same shape I was when I ran that half marathon in May and that stinks, yet I have made some small strides.

Today, after purchasing a brand new pair of running shoes, and spending several days on the elliptical, I ran for the first time, at the gym, on the treadmill. I hate my gym. 24 Hour Fitness, AKA: Meat Market. Girls in tight spandex and high pony tails, guys in muscle shirts, checking out the girls in spandex. I feel so..old and out of place, yet it's convenient and affordable. The treadmill, so FREAKING BORING, yet it is what was recommended by my physical therapist. So there you have it, me in the meat market on a gerbil wheel. And it was good. REALLY good.

It was only three miles in 29 minutes. Short and slow. Such a difference from my workouts a few months ago, but I was inspired. I listened to my running play list, the one that got me through my training and I remembered myself finishing my last (and first) race, how far I had come and I knew, I know I can do it again.

Speaking of self confidence... my husband is always nagging me because I refuse to show my teeth when I smile. As I have grown older I have favored a closed mouth grin. I look younger when I don't show my stupid yellowing teeth. Well enough. A few Crest White Strips (and no this isn't an advertisement, I am sure you can use any old brand) and I'm back in the smiling game.... at least sometimes. My husband tells me a wide grin shows joy. Well, certainly I have plenty of that to share.

So Cheers to running, and smiling big!

1 comment:

  1. I like the teeth smile!!!!! :D I always tell my husband I want to get my teeth whitened at some point...but until then the white strips work! You and your mama look a lot alike, too.

    ReplyDelete