Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A BIG Decision

It was a big day today. I quit my job. People don't know whether to congratulate or console me, and to be honest my feelings on the matter are fairly complicated.

I liked my job. A lot. I like working. I don't believe that I fit the classic stay-at-home-mom stereotype, the June Cleaver who loves making her own baby food, heads up the PTA and doesn't mind a day of hanging around the house with the kids. I get bored easily. I am a very social being and I want to be around other grown-ups.

Yet, baby number three has changed everything. After Zachary and Evan were born I felt more than ready to put on a pair of high-heels and head back to the office, breast pump slung over my shoulder. But having a third being to take care of seems to have made things exponentially more challenging. Perhaps it is also that Zack and Evan are getting older and their needs are shifting as well. There is homework, play dates, lunches to pack, meals to prepare, endless amounts of laundry and mess to clean up. Fleas to kill. Keeping our life together seems to be an enormous job, and I feel that adding on an outside career would simply crush us.

So today I called my boss, whom I adore and quit the best job I ever had. I have to hope it was a good decision. I have to pray that I will stay sane and learn to stick to a tight budget. I know that the time with my baby will be well spent, he is my last. I now can take my time with him, nurse him without worrying about pumping, be there for all of his firsts and hopefully form an even deeper bond with him. I am lucky for this opportunity.

None of the decisions are easy ones. Women face a big delimma these days and sometimes it seems like there is no way to win. Today however I am going to choose to celebrate and toast to this new chapter.

Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. This is a really hard decision - I totally get it. I am very fortunate to work from home part time, and get the best of both worlds. That means, however, that I am "working" (either with kids or at work) from 6am-11pm, 6 days/week. It's exhausting. If we could afford it, I'd quit too. My problem is expensive taste....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really hard decision. We have talked about a possible #3, and if it happens, I know that I will have to quit my job as well. I also enjoy going to work, but hate the anticipation of having to go.... Enjoy this time. They will grow up way too quickly and then you will likely be back at the grind!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on this new journey! :) You're gonna rock your new title (Stay At Home Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is a big deal! Congratulations for making the decision that you feel is best for your family. I know every mom is different, and very season is different... but I really hope this next chapter is amazing for you. Grace to you in the transition!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck, Rachel. There is no way you will regret this time with your kids--even if it kills you a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a huge one and I get the whole thing. But down the track sometime there will be another great job. Julian will never be a baby again though and no one is as right for the job as mum to Evan, Zach and Julian as you are (even as the above commenter says 'if it kills you a little :)). So a hard decision - it is SO unfairly hard for women - but I'm thinking you made the right one. Good luck X.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I left a job I loved to stay home with my youngest and it was hard. Don't think of it as a permanent deal, just a season of your life where you can focus on your family. You never know what you will decide in a few years. Many moms I know with kids in school full time are going back to work (part time if they are lucky enough to find something that works). Enjoy this time as you know how fast it goes by.

    ReplyDelete