Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Red Sheets



I awake in the morning and stumble into the hallway. I am greeted by a familiar site. Damp red sheets in a clumsy pile next to a pair of size five pajamas. Groggy, I haul the dirty bed linens to the kitchen only to find both washer and dryer full. Of course they are.






A few minutes later the dry clothing is in a basket, the wet clothes are spinning in the dryer and I am loading red sheets into the washer...again.






I watch red sheets spinning in soapy circles. They taunt me.






Nah-nah-nah-nah-boo-boo, they tease.






It's as if the sheets are sticking out a wet tongue and flapping their crimson hands around cotton ears .






The laundry will never be done, they sneer.



You'll have to send your son off to college with extra large, industrial strength Pull -Ups, they laugh.



The next good night sleep won't be for a minimum of six years, they promise.






These red sheets, purchased for their cheerful color now serve as a glowing neon sign reminding me that a mother's work is never done.



5 comments:

  1. I hate washing the sheets. HATE. I am so with you on this, and it's soooo hard not to get mad. I try really, really hard but it's so hard since I'm the only one responsible for peepee sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS never ending. It's like what Newman said about the mail making postal employees crazy -- it never stops. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. At least I know I am not the only one who feels like this!
    PS- thanks for your sweet comment over at Lady of the Arts. Weird that you cant comment on me anymore....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog today, and can relate! I love "honest" blogs.

    Anyway, just wanted to say that after many, MANY years of this same struggle, our doctor told us that my son may be missing some type of (oh my brain is dead right now) chemical typically released at night in people that helps decrease urine production for a few hours (Who knew?!). He prescribed him Desmopressin and we no longer have sheets to wash every single morning! In fact, now I have to tell him to bring his sheets down every week!! Even sleepovers (which his cool buddy (really) started calling peepovers) aren't embarrassing for him or me anymore.

    So, just thought I'd share. I sure wish I'd know about this years ago.... Have a good day!!

    ReplyDelete