Sunday, November 1, 2009

Toddler Time

What is it about toddlers? The goofy smile that melts your heart. The wild hair, the forever snotty nose, and filthy t-shirt. The sweet cuddles and the sly naughty hands that instinctively get into whatever is off-limits. My Evan has it all.

Most parents of a second child seem to say the same thing "I simply forgot". So very true. I forgot all the mischief and trouble making. The way shelves and drawers and meals are torn apart and their contents are strewn in every direction. The way they tear from room to room and have the inability to sit still for more than a minute or two. The tired feeling you have by 4:00 in the afternoon after chasing after your little rascal who so desperately wants his independence, yet really hasn't mastered the ability to do anything for himself. Exhaustion. Frustration. Adoration. All mixed in the lack-of-rest induced haze.

Most times I am overcome with love and pride for my 17 month old trouble-maker. Tonight however, after a day that seems to have extended far beyond the extra hour we received courtesy of the end of daylight savings time, I am wishing that I could put the little guy on a shelf for a while, and play with something else, preferably my television. I want a break. Not the kind of break you pay for by hiring a babysitter, and then feel as though you have to do something worthwhile. No just some mommy "quiet time". Time to watch bad TV or read People magazine. As I am writing this post the kids are on the floor playing with kitchen instruments. Daddy is here helping to referee the chaos, but I too must stop every sentence or two to rescue my glass of wine from tiny hands, or block my head from a swinging wooden spoon.

I know, I know this time will pass too quickly. Someday in the not so distant future I will have children who don't want to hang out in the living room with me, or require my constant attention. I'll kick myself then. I'll miss this chaos. But tonight I just want a little vacation... a break, some non-toddler time.

No comments:

Post a Comment