Saturday, May 11, 2013

Happy Mother's Day! Love you Mom!!!!

Alright, it's just about Mother's Day, and I usually do a sarcastic post instructing my family exactly how to treat me on the special day, but there are just so many out there that are far funnier than I can be, so I'm going to refrain.

Of course there are also millions and millions of mushy Mother's Day post as well . Women gushing about the privilege of  motherhood and giving thanks to the woman who raised her. Well today I'm feeling a bit warm and fuzzy myself so keep a barf bucket close at hand.

First, to my very own mother. My amazing mama. A mother who always put her children first. A woman who has sacrificed again and again for her daughters. My mother has always been there for me. As a little girl my mom thought of my sister and I first. With her small budget she bought us gifts she knew we would love and never spent a dime on herself.  She volunteered at my school, teaching folk dance and painting faces at our annual carnival. She held me in the middle of the night when I was scared and she fed me white bread and 7-up when I was sick.

Later in life she stood with me through teenage angst. She did her best to beat away my demons, the self doubt and hatred. She tried so hard to rescue me from the strong pull of an eating disorder. She was always  there. Always.

As I've grown to a woman she was the first one I called with that positive pregnancy test, the first I told about a promotion, a fight or a sprained ankle. She listens like I am the most interesting person in the world .

It isn't that we never fight. Oh we fight. Good Lord we can fight. It's because of the closeness, because of the love. We can push  each other's buttons, and drive each other nuts, but it is because we both care so very much.

My mom is living it up, traveling Europe for a month, and I am not sure I will be able to speak with her this Mother's Day, but I know someday she will read this, and I do hope she knows in her heart how I am thinking of her.

Finally, on to my own role as mom. It's been seven years that I have been a mom. Seven. I remember my first mother's day. We took my eight month old to brunch at a lovely Denver restaurant. I dressed my baby boy up and wore a sundress. I am sure I was glowing.You see,  I didn't know if I was going to get to be a mother. I had infertility concerns, and thought that I might not ever be on the receiving end of a mother's day card.  It was truly a magical day for me.

And here I am now. Mother to three sons. Three sons! Oh I moan and groan about the stress and the work. The stress is real, but the love is stronger. I know, I know how truly blessed I am. I am the luckiest woman in the world.

So thank you Mom. Thank you Zachary, Evan and Julian, for making me a mother. Thank you David for being there with me through it all.


Happy Mother's Day to all of you. It's a happy, happy day.

1 comment:

  1. Sitting in London Starbucks with wifi and reading this. Is it ok to cry in public in England? Beautiful post from a wonderful daughter. Thanks for making me a first time mama! Love you and Erica!

    ReplyDelete