Saturday, October 15, 2011

To Julian

























Today we had a baby naming ceremony and celebration for Julian. Any Jews out there would know that you do not do a "baby naming" ceremony for a boy. A boy should get a bris eight days after birth. But I'm a bad Jew, and I opted for something a little different.







The ceremony was at our home and lead by my stepfather. We said a few traditional prayers, and I read a little something about why Julian was given his name. We then celebrated with cocktails and cake! It was simple, intimate and lovely.
















Below is what I read to Julian today.




Julian, today we celebrate your birth and welcome you to our family and community. Although this event is pretty nontraditional in Judaism we have made it a family tradition, and each of your older brothers had a similar celebration.




Your Hebrew name is for your great grandfather. It would have meant a lot to him to know that you were given a Hebrew name and that we were raising you in a loving home, exposing you to your Jewish heritage.





We named you Julian for no other reason than I love the way that it sounds. To me your name is lovely, masculine, but still soft. The name came to me before I knew for sure that you existed and I felt that it was meant to be.





Your middle name Michael is in honor of your uncle. Your uncle Michael is an amazing man, he has so many qualities that I wish for you. More than anything I find your uncle to be incredibly warm, compassionate and generous. He is a loyal friend and brother and he is happiest when he is helping others. He is also very silly, laughs easily and has a terrific sense of humor.














Julian we feel so incredibly lucky that you are here and that you are ours. With you our family is complete.

6 comments:

  1. That is so perfect, Rachel. Absolutely lovely and loving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that we were not able to make it yesterday. You all look so happy and quite the beautiful/handsome family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the name Julian! That was very beautiful what you read to Julian. You should have that printed and framed for him. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww....I love this idea....the tender explanations....and the pic of all 5 of you! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete